Before the table was fully constructed, I got a little anxious wanting to paint it. Since I couldn’t physically work on the top of the table, I decided to start on the legs and try out a concoction for chalk paint that I had been eyeing on pinterest for months. I was refusing to buy the “real” chalk paint because the prices were simply not agreeing with me and if it’s something I can make for cheap, I’m all in. I did my research and figured my only way of doing the legs THAT DAY was to use the baking soda method of chalk paint. This was the cheapest and most convenient for me at the time. That day, I literally went to the store 3 times because if you know me at all, I am forgetful. Also, I make lists, but about 75% of the time I accidentally leave the list at home. Once I ran all over town and took about an hour longer than I needed, I had my supplies and was ready to start. I am to the point now where I don’t exactly measure the ingredients, I just eyeball the amounts and it turns out fine each time. But, for you perfectionists, the exact amounts are listed below.
Chalk Paint Supplies:
1 cup Flat White Latex Paint
1/2 cup Baking Soda
2-3 tbsp Water
To get the consistancy correct, you want to mix the baking soda and water until it forms a paste and there is no dry baking soda left. Then you can pour your paint into the mixture. It will obviously become thicker as you mix it together. Stirring as you pour makes it easiest to be sure you have it mixed well. That’s it! So easy. I made a larger portion of this recipe because I knew that I would want to have this handy for other projects that I might want to do in the future like the bench that Evan made later for one side of the table.
I painted the legs with two coats of the chalk paint, but honestly one coat covered it just fine. That’s the beauty of chalk paint. It’s extremely easy to apply and dries within a couple minutes. I waited a safe 10 minutes before touching them with the sand paper, just in case. I sanded each of the legs to just get the grainy part of the paint smooth and that also made it appear distressed. When distressing furniture, it’s completely up to you how much or how little you want the “blemishes” to show through. As you can see, my distressing is pretty subtle.
Once I was satisfied with the table legs and my arm felt like it was going to fall off from hand sanding them, I was ready to seal them and move on to the table top once Evan was done constructing it. I painted and distressed the frame and legs of the bench and the frame of the table the same way that I did the table legs. Stay tuned for the table top stain and final pictures!