Armoire Makeover: Round 3


Design, Homestead, Interior, Kitchen, Repurpose, Vlog / Tuesday, July 12th, 2016

So I got this great armoire from my parents a couple years ago. It went to their old bedroom set, but they upgraded their furniture and it was taking up space in the guest bedroom. It has great storage so I took it to paint and use as a coffee bar in our little house in San Antonio. Refer to this post to see the first painting of the hutch. It worked perfectly for the Keurig and all of our coffee mugs.

Once we got into the new house, the color of the armoire blended in to the wall, it was just too much blue/gray. It sits in our kitchen and is used as our pantry. I decided it would look good black…
Do you ever look back at decisions you made and just want to slap yourself for ever thinking that?! I’m having that moment right now.

Long story short, I screwed up. I attempted to make black chalk paint (so it would cover easy). It was pretty lumpy and rough. Instead of admitting that I messed up, I decided to overlook it and “seal” it. The sealer didn’t take and instead made the hutch look like it was an actual chalkboard that had been written and erased on multiple times.

52253642

After months of staring at this awful looking piece of furniture, I finally found time at the start of the summer to tackle this thing head on. I used paint stripper and sanded the thing for DAYS. I still couldn’t get all the previous paint and stain off, but I did my best. I removed some of the ornate wooden designs to give it a more modern look. I can’t remember exactly, but I’m pretty sure that I used two coats of primer and two coats of paint to get it looking how I wanted.

So here you have it. You can click on any of the pictures and scroll through to see them side by side. You’ll see where I took off parts of the hutch to give it a square-er look. It’s crazy how much the hardware alone can update it. I ordered the knobs and handles from Amazon, you can find the links here and here. I obviously spray painted the handles to match the knobs. I couldn’t find any relatively cheap gold handles in this design so I went with the next best thing and made it work.

AEF1AAA9-05F6-4246-9A1D-EE4BF1CA9CFA
Before
EE3F3A32-264D-4AB4-83E4-13F0E3265716
After the first makeover

I don’t have a picture of it black because I just wanted to ignore that mistake altogether…

IMG_0273

After all the other disastrous paint jobs, it’s finally cute.

Hopefully this is the last time this thing gets painted because I AM OVER IT.

>>Katie<<